Saturday, March 22, 2008

Type A?

I often think of myself as a type-A personality: I think that means a person who likes to make a list and cross things off the list, with a great sense of relief and accomplishment with each strike-through. I've even gone so far as to put something on the list that I've already done, just so I can cross it off! (Yes, I do realize that's really lame.)

The thing is, though, I also have this other list that's running through my mind...random things that need to be done, a "wishlist" for my house, myself, etc. that I don't ever write down. When I have the thought, or see something that sparks it in my mind, I think "I should start actually writing these things down somewhere..." and then I don't. But the problem is that it's steadily growing. Some of the things on the list are really important - needed to be done yesterday, if you know what I mean - and others are simply dreams of what I would do today if finances weren't an issue, or time weren't an issue, or whatever.

A few of the things that would be written down if I actually sat down and did it:

Make a dentist appointment (yuck)
Clean out the fridge and pantry
Find a new shower curtain, towels and sheets just because I'm tired of what we have
Re-vamp my wardrobe with classics/basics that I can mix/match for the same reason as above
Finally clean out our closet in the study and get rid of everything we never touch
Get the car washed (it's SO BAD!)
Buy furniture for our bedroom that's grown up and coordinated
Landscape the front yard
Research adoption - both domestic and international
Write letters to people instead of emails

You get the idea...it's randomness...but I am wondering if I'm alone in the constant list making in my head....

3 comments:

shantijoy said...

I totally write things down that I already completed! It's good for a sense of accomplishment.

Here's 2 tools (FREE) to make list making so EASY:
1. JOTT.com - you call from your cell, say "myself" or any name from your address book, and it sends you a text and/or email of that info... to deal with later.

2. RememberTheMilk.com with Gmail plug in... if you use Gmail and Firefox, this will make a list show up to the right of your email. And if you tell JOTT.com to email your Jotts to the RTM email... then they are on your list, not in your Inbox!

Tabaitha said...

I am the exact same way. I bought a planner so that I could right down my to do lists each day and if I've already done it, I'll mark it off. There is something about a great sense of accomplishment. That is funny that you mentioned buying new bedroom furniture. I have wanted to a whole new bedroom ensemble since we got married. Right now we have mix matched and while it didn't cost any money, it would be nice to have a room that looked more grown up. Good luck with the lists.

Christine said...

hi friend!! preach it sister. I am a list person to the utmost. and I have some duplicate things on my running list that are on yours. good luck crossing them off. I try to take on one thing a day.

so fun finding you on your blog.
Love, Christine