Monday, September 24, 2007

Deflated

I'm deflated. I'm currently teaching part-time at an inner-city school. It's probably safe to say that what my students are exposed to on a daily basis is quite the norm in other urban settings across our country...

With my 4th graders today, I simply stated that some people don't believe in God, and while that's sad for them it doesn't take away from the fact that God exists in all His glory. They began to give me examples about seeing/experiencing abuse in their homes, addictions, and violence - all from people who don't believe in God. It was sobering...not just the content but the ease and casual way in which they spoke of it...one girl even commented about not seeing what the big deal was about a man beating a woman up. She wasn't kidding.

Then, my little baby 1st graders (and one of my most challenging classes) is studying Moses. To do a quick connect/parallel of how we are like Moses, I said that Moses was born into a scary world, and there are scary things in our world too. "What scares you?" I asked...here is what they said:

"when people get shot right by my house."

"when the crackheads on my grandma's street walk too close to her house"

"when people break in and steal our things, like my Dora TV and DVD."

"the time my grandma left me and my sisters at home and that man had busted in to the house. she told us if he came back again to call 911."

I thank God that as a first grader I knew nothing about these fears...and I grieve for my little ones who already experience them. Please pray for their safety and protection...and that they will grow up to be instruments of change in their communities.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know all too well what you're probably hearing over there. But that's why God has placed great people like you over there to serve as cultural connectors.

I miss falling asleep in your class. :o)

X..

Kristyn said...

Hey! So glad to find that you have a blog! I'll put you on our roll. Lily is soooo pretty! How old is she?
I feel your pain on the school thing...I taught 4 years in all 'inner city/title 1' schools, in 2nd and 3rd grade and I couldn't believe what I heard AND what they brought to school with them...drugs, knives, etc.