Friday, May 23, 2008

Would you like fries with that?

Okay, so like my little sister, I am looking for a job. I am leaving Yellowstone Academy (www.yellowstoneacademy.org) and heading out into the unknown.

If you know me, then you know that the unknown and I are not BFFs. In fact I do NOT heart the unknown. Nope, I would rather have a little calendar handed to me with the generals penciled in...you know, like August 15th, start new job at _____.

I recognize that this is partly because I like things to be predictable and safe. I like to know that the details are going to fall into place, and to be completely honest, I would rather not have to bend over backwards to make that happen. It stresses me out.

So. Here's the delimma. I want to work part-time. I want to work two days a week outside of my house and then have the remainder of the hours be flexible - whether that's social or working on something from my home. I don't want to be in a classroom or work directly with kids. Gotta have a break from that. I am passionate about working in 3rd ward or somewhere like it, specifically with women. In fact, I was hoping to create my own little dream job of doing parent liason work at Yellowstone but there isn't money in the budget to pay me for that. Sigh. However, I have to admit that working at Yellowstone has really taken some fire out of me. (that, combined with the stresses of being a new mom, wife, etc.)

So maybe I need to take a step back from the highly service oriented job for a year or so...regroup, refresh....but then what do I do? Work at Chick-fil-a? I mean, I love their waffle fries and diet lemonade...but seriously. Oh, and I have to be able to make enough money for it to be worth it...meaning that I don't want to spend half of what I make on daycare.

I have talked with an organization that would provide a highly social service job in 3rd ward...and I LOVE the man that I would be working under, but the organization has a bit of a reputation for strong vision and poor delegation...which would be a total stress to me. Or, I have talked with another 3rd ward organization about doing some administrative work...which would allow for the stepping back I mentioned, but would it be too much? Would I feel stifled or bored by not having lots of interaction with people? Or, I have emailed an educational organization that is HIGHLY structured and that I'm already very familiar with because I heard through the grapevine that they're wanting to start a part-time position...but I haven't heard back from them yet.

Okay, people. There's the criteria. This is what I have on the table. Give me some clarity...what can I do??

No comments: